Portland Street Spiritualist Church 
Southport PR8 1HN 
[email protected]/01704541001

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Last Post

Chrissie Keelan

I found this story recently, and in relation to Tina and Stephen's involvement with the SOS appeal, thought it would be of interest.  Some of you may have already known this, but I have never seen it:

~~~

Last post

Reportedly, it began during the American Civil War, Union Army Captain Robert Ellicombe heard the moans of a soldier who lay severely wounded on the field. The Captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man back. He saw the face of the soldier... It was his own son!

The boy had been studying music in the South, so the father asked the permission of his superiors to give his son a full military burial. His request was only partially granted though. The Captain had asked if he could have a group to play a funeral dirge for his son at the funeral, but they said they could give him only one musician.

The Captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series of musical notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of the dead youth's uniform. We now know this as 'The Last Post', used at military funerals to this day.

The words are:

Day is done.

Gone the sun.

From the lakes

From the hills.

From the sky.

All is well.

Safely rest.

God is nigh.

Fading light.

Dims the sight.

And a star.

Gems the sky.

Gleaming bright.

From afar.

Drawing nigh.

Falls the night.

Thanks and praise.

For our days.

Neath the sun

Neath the stars.

Neath the sky

As we go.

This we know.

God is nigh

March 22, 2010 at 6:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Christina Parfitt
Site Owner

HI Chrissie, I know the story, but lovely of you to write it on our pages, thankyou.  Lnl, Tina x

March 24, 2010 at 8:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jo

Thanks for that Chrissie; I never knew the words before - touching. Lnl, Jo x

--

March 26, 2010 at 7:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Christina Parfitt
Site Owner

The words are inspiring, and poignant.

Lnl, Tina x

April 17, 2010 at 5:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Christina Parfitt
Site Owner

We had yet another emotional Remembrance Service which was enjoyed by everyone who attended.

Our cross of remembrance showed all 342 names of those killed in the Afghan war, and of course a flag for all those killed in earlier wars, too numerous to name.

Lnl, Tina

x

November 23, 2010 at 5:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.